Religious education at St Peter and St Paul Church of England Primary Academy and Nursery aims to develop children’s understanding about the world’s religions and cultures. Our pupils learn about the variety of religions in the world to increase their awareness and understanding of different cultures and faiths. We teach using an approach that enables children to understand what drives people of faith to live the way they do.
Our aims and objectives are:
• To know about and understand Christianity as a diverse global living faith through the exploration of core beliefs using an approach that critically engages with biblical text.
• To gain knowledge and understanding of a range of religions and worldviews appreciating diversity, continuity and change within the religions and worldviews being studied.
• To engage with challenging questions of meaning and purpose raised by human existence and experience.
• To recognise the concept of religion and its continuing influence on Britain’s cultural heritage and in the lives of individuals and societies in different times, cultures and places.
• To explore their own religious, spiritual and philosophical ways living, believing and thinking.
Our religious education curriculum follows the Understanding Christanity scheme of learning. Throughout their time with us, our children will explore many religions and increase their awareness of Christianity, Judaism, Budddism, Hinduism and Islam. The children develop their understanding of religious education through lessons, visits to places of worships, guest speakers and workshops.